Transphorm rolls out Reference Designs
Seven reference designs target USB-C PD GaN power adapter development
Transphorm has developed seven reference designs intended to speed development of GaN-based USB-C PD power adapters. The portfolio includes a wide range of open frame design options with various topologies, outputs, and wattages (45W to 140W) to choose from.
The power adapter reference designs use SuperGaN Gen IV 650V FETs to deliver the ease-of-design, high reliability with high performance advantages that have become synonymous with Transphorm GaN devices. In recent analysis when compared to a 175 mOhm e-mode GaN device, Transphorm’s 240 mOhm SuperGaN FET showed lower on resistance rise with temperatures above 75°C and higher performance at 50 percent and 100 percent (full) power.
Transphorm’s portfolio includes five open frame USB-C PD reference designs ranging in frequency from 140 to 300 kHz. As an example, Transphorm partnered with Silanna Semiconductor on a 65W active clamp flyback (ACF) RD running at 140 kHz with a peak efficiency of 94.5 percent.
• (1x) 45W adapter RD offers 24 W/in3 power density in a quasi-resonant flyback (QRF) topology
• (3x) 65W adapter RDs offer 30 W/in3 power density in ACF or QRF topologies
• (1x) 100W adapter RD offers 18 W/in3 power density in a power factor correction (PFC)+QRF topology
It also includes two open frame USB-C PD/PPS reference designs ranging in frequency from 110 to 140 kHz. Transphorm partnered with Diodes Inc. on both solutions, leveraging the company’s ACF controller to achieve greater than 93.5 percent peak efficiency.
• (1x) 65W adapter RD offers 29 W/in3 power density in an ACF topology
• (1x) 140W adapter RD offers 20 W/in3 power density in a PFC+ACF topology
“Transphorm is unique in that it offers the only portfolio of GaN FETs covering the widest range of power levels for the broadest range of applications,” said Tushar Dhayagude, VP, Field Applications & Technical Sales, Transphorm.
“Our power adapter reference designs spotlight our low power capabilities. We offer controller-agnostic PQFN and TO-220 devices that can dramatically simplify design. These features along with others help our customers go to market quickly and easily with a GaN solution capable of achieving groundbreaking power efficiency levels. This is what Transphorm’s GaN is all about.”
The leading global compound semiconductor conference and exhibition will once again bring together key players from across the value chain for two-days of strategic technical sessions, dynamic talks and unrivalled networking opportunities.
Join us face-to-face on 18-19 April 2023
- View the agenda.
- 3 for the price of 1. Register your place and gain complementary access to TWO FURTHER industry leading conferences: PIC International and Power Electronics International.
- Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)24 7671 8970 for more details.