LED-based Airfield Ground Lighting Is Growing
Lighting manufacturers are shifting their focus more towards sustainable solar-based LED airfield ground lights, says Fact.MR
Sales of airfield ground lighting have witnessed a growth rate of above 6 percent over the past five years, according to a new report by Fact.MR. And the market is poised to expand at CAGR of a little over 11 percent during the forecast period of 2021-2031.
Over a trillion dollars are likely to be invested to enhance airport infrastructure by 2030. With this comes the increasing need of efficient airfield ground lighting to enhance airport infrastructure.
The COVID-19 pandemic has been opportunity for airfield ground lighting manufacturers to enhance their product offerings and shift their focus more towards sustainable solar-based LED airfield ground lights. While air travel plunged, it provided a fruitful opportunity for most airports to carry out maintenance and replacement of airport ground lighting in the meantime.
• The global market for airfield ground lighting is anticipated to add three times value by 2031.
• Airfield ground lighting for military airports is expected to expand at CAGR of 10 percent over the forecast period.
• North America is the top market with a value of more than $310 M in 2020, and is projected to expand at a CAGR of approx. 11 percent over the next ten years.
• Halogen airfield ground lighting is projected to exhibit a lower growth rate of close to 4 percent CAGR, while LED lights are projected to add 3.5X value by 2031.
• The market in South Asia is set to expand at 11.5 percent CAGR, and to be valued at over $320 M by 2031, owing to higher infrastructure investments for airport construction, increased air traffic, and growing volume of air cargo from developing nations across the region.
• By category, CAT - III (HIRL) airfield ground lighting is poised to provide higher opportunity for manufacturers by virtue of increasing airport safety regulations and development of airport infrastructure with advanced visual systems. The CAT - III (HIRL) segment is poised to progress at a CAGR of 11.5 percent over the forecast period.
• The market in the US and UK is projected to expand at CAGRs of close to 12 percent each, while that in China at well over 12 percent, through 2031.
• The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in the growth rate for 2020 being a dismal -4.5 percent. However, with things opening up, 2021's growth rate is expected to be 105 percent.
Prominent players such as ADB Safegate, TKH Group, and Flash Technology have worked with airport infrastructure developers to streamline the supply chain of airfield ground lighting, set by relative demand from upcoming airport projects and replacement of halogens lights with LED lighting systems.
ADB Safegate has been at the forefront of developing LED lighting systems integrated with IoT and solar power. For instance, in 2020, ADB Safe Gate launched a new product - LED Runway Identification Light (REIL), whose function is to provide visual indications to pilots on runways during the period of approach, particularly in harsh weather conditions and low visibility operations.
These insights are based on a report on Airfield Ground Lighting Market by Fact.MR.